Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ribbon Flower Tutorial


Hello everyone! Riikka here today with my second project for May. Today I want to share with you an easy ribbon flower tutorial together with two projects I made using the ready flower. Materials are from my Zeus and Zoe kit


First of all, cut three identical pieces of a ribbon. I used a beautiful lace and velvet ribbon by May Arts

The lenght of the ribbon depends on what you want to do - for the brooch I cut about 11" pieces but an little embellishment for the card only need something like 2½ to 3" of ribbon. The lenght is roughly twice the size of the flower. Wrap the pieces into figure eights and attach with a few stitches. You can use hot glue, too, if you want.


Then stack all the loops on top of each other so that they form a flower. Attach with a few stiches. Now the base is ready!


Then comes the fun part - adding some layers and embellishments! I used a crocheted doily and some metal flowers to mine together with a beautiful button and a piece of jewellery. All these were from my kit. 

You can either leave the flower like this or add a few pieces of ribbon at the back like I did.


Here's the finished piece. I added two ribbons at the back togerher with a safety pin and thus created my very own brooch. This would make a great little gift or an embellishment on top of a gift.

Like I said, the same tutorial can be used also in a smaller scale to create embellishments for cards or scrapbooking pages. Underneath is a card to which I made a small lace flower. The shape is the same, only smaller. You can even do one to this months challenge - the mood board had a few different ribbons on it!



4 comments:

Denise van Deventer said...

Sooooo creative Riikka! Love this ribbon flower, which is really so elegant! Need to tuck this one away for future use!!!! ;-)

Unknown said...

I love it and it looks easy to make! Thank you Riikka!! It is beautiful as always!!

kiala said...

This is so awesome! Wow!

Sandie said...

Love this bow how pretty, could see this used in so many creations...and I just adore your card Riikka!