Monday, June 10, 2013

Favourite tradition minialbum


Hello! Riikka here to share my take on this month's challenge! The topic this month is "favourite things" and I wanted to scrapbook a tradition, which is really meaningful to me. One of my favourite things.


Every year on May 1st we visit the local zoo. The tradition started way back, when my husband and I were dating and we didn't realise it even at first. It was only I was going through some photo albums at my computer when I realised we had been to the zoo three years a row on the May 1st. After that we have celebrated the May day with a visit to the zoo.



The album documents the trip of this year. I took a lot of photos, like usual, and then edited just a few of them for this album. To keep the album clean and unified, I used black and white photos. I tried to document the day as well as some of my favourite things at the zoo. For example I love how our daughters always pet the wooden animals on the way to the main gate and I adore the tropical houses that have some beautiful plants, little monkeys and cute frogs. It was also charming that the best show on the zoo was put on a lady cleaning one of the cages. Our girls were mesmerised by her and stood in front of that window longer than any other! You can see all the pages of the mini at the bottom of this post.


The papers are from this month's sponsor, Donna Salazar. To have my own touch to them, I added some gesso, mists, doodling and stamping here and there. I bound the book using washi tape, taping two papers together and then created the spine using a piece of paper. The embellishments are partly form my Zeus and Zoe kit and partly from my own stash.

I hope you'll join in to the challenge this month! It would be wonderful to discover some of your favourite things!





Let's take a look at the prize this month for the challenge. It's really cool, don't you think? 

Main Prize: 
Donna Salazar




Donna Salazar is a wife, mom, grandma, artist, designer, teacher and kid at heart. Her playful nature tends to come across in her products and classes because she believes that art should be fun. Donna is known for blending contrasting elements to create what she calls her “Girlie Grunge” look. Donna's style is especially appealing to mixed media artists, however her love of flowers and all things sparkly seems to appeal to crafters of all types and styles. 


Donna is a licensed designer and has product lines with 5 different companies: Clearsnap, GCD Studios, Spellbinders, Want2Scrap and Zutter. Donna offers free video tutorials, e-classes and a LIVE webshow, called Tuesday Tutorials, where she gives away lots of prizes from her partner companies and/or original artwork created during the show!


Random Prize:
Couture Creations
http://couturecreations.com.au



An Australian owned and loved brand, Couture Creations is the culmination of 20 years experience in the scrapbooking industry. From its final inception in 2010, Couture Creations has been devoted to producing expertly designed, high quality products overseen by veteran designers and crafters for a result that is both simple and elegant.

Couture Creations is part of Artdeco Creations growing collection of quality craft brands available worldwide. Distributed through a network of the best industry representatives in scrapbooking and craft internationally, Artdeco Creations has the ability to test and meet global expectations for quality and precision beyond local trends and markets.
 

Hope to see your project for the challenge soon! 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous album Rikka, love all the details in it! What a fantastic tradition!!!

Denise van Deventer said...

Such a gorgeous mini Riikka! Love it! What a great tradition to have! I love the zoo too! ;-)

Dana Tatar said...

Awesome album Riikka! I love your mature take on a trip to the zoo! Thanks for the inspiration!

Sandie said...

Such a beautiful keepsake, and I love how you used Donna's products.

Unknown said...

Great project.Such a cool tradition to have.I bet the whole family enjoys it.Love the inside pages too.

Norma Gomez said...

Riikka this album is way cool!!! Beautiful work as always my friend :D

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It is a great mini-album. I love all the details of each page.

Thank you!